Investing for a more transparent and traceable future
Archroma Textile Effects has based its extensive portfolio on sustainable solutions, making it possible for brands to offer a better end-user experience and to improve regulatory compliance with less water, energy, time and cost. We continue to invest to help mills and brands enhance manufacturing efficiency, meet their environmental, social and governance goals, and empower consumers in their sustainability journey.
Many of the industry’s most impactful resource-saving technologies originate in our labs:
- AVITERA® SE dyes are poly-reactive and have a high diffusion rate and a fixation rate that is very close to the exhaustion rate. This means that only a very small amount of the hydrolyzed (or water-diluted) dye remains on the fabric to get washed off, thereby allowing mills to dramatically reduce the dyeing and washing-off cycle, offering water and energy savings of up to 50% and slashing carbon emissions by up to 50% for the dyeing of cotton and other cellulosic fibers.
- TERASIL® W/WW disperse dyes deliver outstanding results for polyester and its blends, even for deep and very deep shades, with the best wetfastness performance available today. These dyes are extremely robust during processing. Crucially, they are not sensitive to reduction, leading to higher reproducibility and higher right first-time results, with a reduction in overall water and energy consumption, as well as water effluent.
- Siligen® EH1 is a vegan silicone softener. More than 35% of its active content is based on renewable plant-based materials, helping manufacturers and brands move away from fossil fuel-based ingredients. The softener is ideal for apparel, underwear, sportswear, bedding and towels as it supports good moisture transportation and delivers a smooth soft touch for exceptional wearing comfort.
- ERIOPON® E3-SAVE is an all-in-one textile auxiliary for polyester processing. It allows pre-souring, dyeing and reduction clearing to be combined in a single bath, which shortens processing time by 25% or more and saves up to 50% of water and energy.
These solutions can be combined with other effects to help apparel and textile brands create additional value in key market segments.
Here are some of our recommendation for performance apparel:
- SYN PREP cleans synthetic fibers while contributing to cleaner wastewater. It enables one-bath exhaust scouring and dyeing for savings of water, energy and time of up to 50%.
- AVITERA® SE FAST is a sustainable dyeing process for polyester-cellulose blends. Using a combination of TERASIL® W/WW disperse dyes and AVITERA® SE reactive dyes, it reduces processing time by 25% or more and dramatically lowers environmental impact. Water and energy savings of up to 50% are possible, along with a reduction in CO2 and effluent emissions of up to 50%.
- EARTH SOFT is a softening system based on the innovative Siligen® EH1 silicone softener and Hydroperm® wicking agent. Hydroperm® boosts the hydrophilic properties of synthetic and blended fibers and offers high durability and stability, with no risk of yellowing. Like Siligen® EH1, Hydroperm® is a vegan product of non-animal origin.
- Lyocol® dyeing auxiliaries bring perfect synergies for dye mills. The range delivers outstanding performance in terms of operational efficiency and cost, and increases right first time textile quality.
- ZELAN™ R3 is a renewably sourced non-fluorinated durable water repellent (DWR) finish that delivers high-performance repellency that lasts through multiple home launderings.
- Arkophob® DAN New is a formaldehyde- and organotin-free* *external crosslinker that is partially bio-based. It offers high stability without impacting whiteness.
* Below limits of detection according to industry standard test methods. Not intentionally added.
In addition to the AVITERA® SE and TERASIL® W/WW dyes and the EARTH SOFT softening system, we recommend the following solutions for sustainable casual wear:
- The EVOLUTION BLACK coloration system enables authentic black denim effects with outstanding resource saving thanks to our exclusive Diresul® Evolution Black sulfur black technology. Its unique shade and wash-down behavior enables brands to produce new and innovative aesthetics, and it is especially effective on eye-catching dark black shades, with no bronzing effect. Water consumption can be reduced by up to 84% compared to standard sulfur black dyes.** Energy consumption and CO2 emissions can be reduced by 12%, with less effluents generated due to a no-sulfide formulation.
- UVITEX® BHA LIQ is a world-first aniline-free high-affinity brightener that helps mills achieve very high, brilliant full-white effects on cellulosic fibres, with reduced risk of discoloration when other finishing effects are applied or during storage and shipment. It delivers the lowest possible wastewater pollution due to its very high exhaustion rate.
- NOVACRON® ADVANCE is a new-generation water-based reactive ink designed for industrial digital printers to achieve the most complete range of deep and vibrant colors. It allows reduced ink consumption and outstanding jetting performance for minimal wastage, maintenance and downtime. With a high fixation rate and optimal wash-off properties, these NOVACRON® inks enable robust and flexible processing.
- Arkofix® NZW is a formaldehyde-free* treatment for exceptional non-iron and easy-care finishes. Suitable for low-temperature curing, it delivers high-whiteness while preserving tear strength and protecting against yellowing during storage.
** 99% water saving and zero residues at the dyestuff manufacturing step compared to standard sulfur black dye synthesis (considering water needed in production and in wastewater treatment for salt dilution). 27% savings at the denim textile mill. (ONE WAY Impact Calculator. CASE STUDY: Italian Customer, Slasher range. Compared to benchmark black dyeing process)
While solutions like AVITERA® SE and TERASIL® W/WW dyes, EARTH SOFT, ZELAN™ R3 and Arkofix® NZW are suitable for home textiles brands looking to deliver more with fewer resources, we can also recommend these combinations:
- Appretan® NTR is a groundbreaking range of formaldehyde-free, APEO-free* binders. Formulations made with 30% active content based on natural, renewable raw materials are idea as a coating for curtains and blinds and can be used to produce compostable nonwoven cleaning cloths and even food filtration and packaging materials. Water-based acrylic copolymer formulations provide best-in-class wet tensile strength for high-performance non-toxic nonwoven products like air filters for cars and homes.
- Bio-scouring with INVAZYME SOFT is a gentle, low-temperature pretreatment at a neutral pH. It helps ready fabrics for dyeing medium to dark shades, with water and energy savings of up to 30% and a reduction in effluent load of up to 50%.
- TERATOP® dyes are designed to meet all levels of light-fastness requirements for polyester, making them ideal for outdoor furniture, awnings and banners.
Sustainability has become a crucial consideration for brands and mills across all market segments. To meet the demands of environmentally conscious consumers, they must take a proactive approach to reduce their environmental footprint, increase efficiency, while enhancing the performance of their products. By collaborating with the right partner that has solutions that deliver resource savings, process optimization and cost efficiencies, brands and mills can drive sustainable growth and success in today's rapidly changing market.